Sunday, May 31, 2009

how much errors?...pardon me..what was that??

Over the last few days people have been directing a barrage of elementary grammatical errors at me whenever they tend to speak English..Its not exactly the nicest position to be in because more often than not they do so without even the slightest idea that they have blundered..I have to put up a straight face and trudge off once again wondering why this is happening..I am not quite the expert myself and am definitely the kind who has and will commit errors myself..but at least I am most definitely the kind who works towards improving my English and vocabulary in general..

The biggest problem is not quite the erratic usage but the fact that people don't really think much about trying to get better..I'm all for avoiding English when it comes to home and also personal conversations..but at the workplace, I believe it must be more professional and also its all the more ethical to converse in English as you then make sure no one is alienated from the conversation like he/she would have been if it were in a regional language.. 'Spended', 'very hurry', 'how much people' and a whole lot more..I am flabbergasted at the extraordinary ability of these people to say so and not even feel that there is an error there..and how many of them are going to be gracious enough to accept a correction i the right spirit.not many I should think..!

If the schooling was done in a place where there was no emphasis on English, I can very well understand that they need some time to come to grips with the nuances of the language but what about the vast majority who studied throughout in the cities and work there too? I don't think they have too many excuses except for the simple fact that they refuse to speak English as they feel it it not necessary..When they can learn a programming language, some goddamn technologies which in normal course are totally alien to what they have studied or worked with all life..why is learning a language, the usage of which is almost ubiquitous considered a burden?.. We are not talking about the use of bombastic words and flowery language, but just getting the basics right in normal day to day communication..

Well, this piece certainly hasn't been an exercise in showcasing my vocabulary or as the people normally say 'English show off' nor has it been written to incense the so called offenders (yours truly has been at that end many times himself)..I hope that people do realize the importance of the language in professional circles and strive to get the basics right in due course of time which would make it easy for most people to have a smooth conversation and not have to look/feel embarrassed and feel inclined to switch to a regional language!!

No comments: