Monday, April 5, 2010

Dream come true....

Following the heart is quintessential to realize ones ultimate dream..I just realized that. I have until recently been yet another of those nerdy guys walking the path already beaten to death..All through school, college and grad school, I did stuff and studied courses that were going to fetch me a lucrative and 'good' job..For a long time I didn't realize it wouldn't truly guarantee satisfaction and the lovely feeling of doing what I liked the most..It was not that I didn't know what I loved as is the case with many people. It was just that I was so caught up in the approach to the career path that is so heavily influenced and pressurized by society..

My two biggest passions have been cricket and numbers..marry them and a cricket stats freak is the result..I had always wanted to be doing this right from those high school years..I just didn't know how and when to take the plunge..There had to be some justice done after all to all those crazy cricket talks, stats discussions, poster quizzes and weird room decorations..CRICINFO, in due course, was a major hit among all cricket lovers and its huge repository of stats coupled with fascinating cricket articles and coverage made it the perfect place that I would want to work in..But yet again, it just didn't seem feasible as I was going through the motions at Engineering college and as I thought later, the journey abroad for grad studies would surely have put paid to my hopes of getting into my dream company...

The days flew by..job hunt and the other aspects of life in the US kept me away from the thoughts of the job at CRICINFO..I still didn't know how I could get in and what role I might fit in..The heart just knew and told me at various points that I had to try..As fate would have it, I got back to India and started working here..Few would think of it as a positive development in life..Nor did I initially. But soon, I realized that the loneliness gave me a lot of time to start working with cricket writing..A blog highly dominated by sports content especially cricket was started up and I religiously sat and wrote article after article..sent those across, followed up, discussed with the people who mattered. Time passed by and just when it seemed like there wasn't going to be anyway for things to work out, I got an email and a call to confirm that I had the chance to work with CRICINFO.. It definitely was a dream come true and I couldn't have been more glad..

The difficult part came now..Brain said - dude..go for the lucrative jobs man..You have a Masters degree..why you wasting it?..the heart as it had always done pointed only one way- towards the CRICKET..People were divided in their assessment..Ultimately I had to make the call..Financial considerations etc would definitely take a backseat at this moment..I had gotten a chance of a lifetime to work in the field and company I always wanted to be in and not many people get a chance to do what they really love in life..There was no way I was going to let go of such an opportunity..Thanks to all my pals and family who did provide much needed encouragement and offered the most useful advice at this critical juncture to enable me to follow my dream!..

7 comments:

manasa said...

daki tiki daki tiki! now treat!!!

Praveen Krishnan said...

Awesome da :-)
Hearty congratulations :-)

Ranjitha said...

hi madhu

really really happy for u

Congraats :)

awesome i am sure u are gng to rock !!

Unknown said...

i do not know what to say. my heart says that it is ur life and u hav to decide but my instinct says that people will blame me only that i have not guided u properly when u r taking such a big decision in ur life. any way one thing is sure god will never let u down u will defenitely achieve what u want in life and u will what u want. i am always with u and pray for u my dearest son amma

AC said...

Better to starve the stomach than the soul. Good move. Congrats

Viki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Viki said...

Hi Madhu,

All the best. Do well in your dream Job. Keep updating the cric stuffs.

Regards,
Vignesh